Many visitors to Israel enjoy the rays of the Mediterranean sun that beats down mercilessly in the summer months and only allows a brief period of winter before returning in full force. Native Israelis also tend to love sunlight, but over time they have become increasingly aware of the havoc the sun can wreak on the skin. As a result, Israeli companies spend a lot of time researching ways to protect their skin from sun damage, and their products have earned international recognition for their effectiveness.
The most famous of all Israeli cosmetics is undoubtedly the AHAVA line which is created from minerals from the Dead Sea. AHAVA products are sold all over the world and have earned a name for being almost miraculous in their effectiveness. However, you can find beauticians, beauty bloggers and skincare experts from all over the world who bet on different Israeli products.
We have compiled a top 10 list for you:
1. We cannot avoid starting with an Ahava product. Ahava’s “Stress Melt Butter Salt” is simply magical. Without the unpleasant greasy and harsh effect that is so common in body scrubs, the Ahava body scrub is dry and one simply needs to mix a little with water before rubbing it in. The scent is pleasantly calming and the product stays on the skin without feeling heavy. By the time you’re done scrubbing, it will have turned into a lotion and effectively seal in moisture.
2. If we’re already getting lyrical about Ahava, let’s not forget Ahava Anti-Aging Sunscreen Moisturizer. Simply a phenomenal mineral sunscreen that the skin happily absorbs containing Aloe Vera to soothe sun-exposed skin.
3. Another Dead Sea product worth taking note of is the “Obey Your Body” exfoliating gel. This little beauty can be picked up at any Israeli-run kiosk in shopping malls. The gels act as a great hand and body lotion as well as an exfoliating gel.
4. Another winner is the Gigi face cream, a fabulous cream that penetrates the skin and keeps it supple and moist. Gigi Cosmetic Laboratories is one of the smallest Israeli cosmetics companies; Established in 1957, the products cannot be obtained in pharmacies but can be found in cosmetic studios and spas.
5. Sea of Life Mineral Butter with Fig Extract is addictive with its rich cream that is packed with mineral water, Dead Sea mud, oils and extracts. Despite the thickness of the cream, it seeps directly into your skin and believe me, your skin will thank you for this treasure.
6. Anyone who has spent the summer in Israel knows what a sorry state their feet end up in at the end of the season. And this is where Anna Lotan’s Pineapple Scrub comes in. Simply the best antidote out there for dry, rough feet that have suffered from a long summer of flip flops and salty seawater! Anna Lotan Bio-Cosmetics Laboratories manufactures professional skin care products for use by skin care professionals and also has a retail product line. The company’s specialization is dry, dehydrated, oily, acne-prone, and sensitive skin types, and it’s definitely worth a look.
7. If you are looking for an organic treatment, check out Sabon Organic Hand Creams. They are simply stunning – rich in natural oils and scented divine, the hand cream is refreshing but will not overpower whatever fragrance you wear.
8. We can’t help but include another one of Sabon’s offerings: Lemon Loofah soap artfully contains chunks of loofah (!) And provides a gentle exfoliation without stripping moisture from the skin. Sabon’s products are made with ingredients from the Dead Sea using a secret recipe from Australia.
9. Yarok Haircare was created by Alvow who wanted to produce plant-based restorative hair care products. The products are not actually made in Israel, but are made by an Israeli who makes full use of his Israeli knowledge of nature to create products based on nutrient-rich oils. Yarok’s Green with Envy Shampoo and Conditioner is superbly aromatic and absolutely no trace of impurities are left on the hair, as is all too often the case with other unnatural hair care products.
10. We’ll finish up with another Ahava product (what can we do? Their products are fabulous!). The Ahava Hydration Mask is simply one of the best treatment masks on the market, intensely nourishing the skin, improving elasticity and enhancing the natural texture of the skin.